Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Panasonic VDR-D230 DVD Camcorder with 32x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black)

Panasonic VDR-D230 DVD Camcorder with 32x Optical Image Stabilized ZoomProduct is very easy to use with a good manual included and movie pictures are very clear especilally when made in daylight. Zooming option is excellent but a bit difficult to control when maximized. Camera option to use light at night improves picture quality significantly. However, not all discs are compatible with this camera. Can't use Sony DVD-R and Sony DVD+RW dsics for handycams. Was successful so far with Maxwell DVD-R discs for camcorders.Info which discs to be used is lacking when purchasing this camera.

I purchased this item after reading favorable reviews. I've never owned a camcorder before, but decided I need to record some of the significant events in the lives of my two teenage sons for our long-distance relatives to enjoy. I like the simplicity of the dvd format; you can record on a dvd-r, finalize the disc, and watch it on your dvd player right away. I don't want to have to edit a lot of tape every time I record an event.However, you do have the flexibility of doing that with this camcorder, if you use the dvd-ram format.

The manual is easy to understand and I was able to use the camcorder as soon as the battery was charged. The day after I got it, I used it to record a JROTC drill competition and the resulting video was very good. I've also used the still photo function to record photos on an SD card. The still photo quality is adequate, but not nearly what you would get with a standard digital camera.

If you are a casual home-video maker, I think you will be very happy with this camcorder.

Buy Panasonic VDR-D230 DVD Camcorder with 32x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black) Now

Do not buy the Memorex mini DVD RW pack with this Panasonic camcorder. They're incompatible.

Read Best Reviews of Panasonic VDR-D230 DVD Camcorder with 32x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black) Here

I don't have too much complaints about DVD camcorder initially. I thought it's a good idea to directly get things done. But after playing it a while I got big concerns with DVD camcorders. For DVD-R/RW materials, this camcorder requires you to finalize the DVD which takes "MINUTES" to finish. After that you can view it on DVD player. I accidently move the DVD-R to play in a external player without finalization. The result is this disc got damaged(can not be finalized) and I can only view it in the camcorder. This is a very painful experience. What if this is your treasure? I think this is going to happen when you have several kids. They'll sure to mess up someday. I don't know what the hell can I do to get videos out from the disc to computer. Its software is not capable of getting things out of the disc either(why the camcorder can?). Since I only got it for a day, I'll return it to B&H.

It seems DVD format(a bad IEEE product) is very painful to deal with even with the DVD camcorder. I really miss the tape camcorders. I think HDD camcorder should be much easier than DVD camcorders. I really feel sad about those competation about different DVD formats, DVD-r/rw, dvd-ram, dvd+r/rw. Why manufactures can not get a agreement to make things easier?

I tried DVD-RAM which doesn't need finalization. It's a good alternative. I got Panasonic 3pack for $7.99 at Fry's today. You'll need to burn the content to another DVD-R/RW for viewing in a DVD player(sony player support DVD-RAM format). Though Hard Disk camcorders can serve in this way better.

Finally I returned this unit to B&H for the reason of Date&Time stamp not working on external DVD player and PC player. Called Pana tech support and knew that the Date & Time is not phsically recorded. In order to play it back you'll need to play it back in the camcorder currently. My DVD player and powerDVD software can't support it.

In summary: I returned it for the following reasons:

1. Date & Time stamp can't be played back on external DVD player and powerDVD software.

2. For DVD-R/RW, it requires a process "Finalization" to be able to play on DVD player.

3. The DC power in is under the battery pack. Which means you have to detach the battery pack to be able to use the DC. There are many cases that the camcorder refuse to work without external DC.

4. The resolution is good, but the color is really blank. Don't like it as well.

Hope my experience is helpful to someone. I'm going to try Canon ZR-700(cheap miniDV). Hope it can work out for me.

Want Panasonic VDR-D230 DVD Camcorder with 32x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black) Discount?

I am a total novice to video cameras let alone DVD cams. This little camera works great! I love the 1000x zoom feature.

One thing that people in the other reviews had problems with was mini-dvd's not working. Well if they would have read the little book, they would have seen that the camera only works with DVD-R or DVD-RW discs. Not +R or +RW. Yes! There is a difference.

Still picture feature was a selling point for me. It takes great digital stills.

Great, easy to use, light weight, and user friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment