Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sanyo VPC-CG20 High Definition Camcorder & 10 MP Camera (Black)

Sanyo VPC-CG20 High Definition Camcorder & 10 MP CameraI purchased the VPC-CG20 two months ago at Radio Shack. I was looking for an alternative to the "Flip" camera at about the same price.

PROS

Good digital image stabilization at normal focus. This was the main selling point: Flip cameras provide no image stabilization, so slight shaking of the hand, especially when panning, is a problem. The Sanyo camera will give you better quality video at a similar price.

CONS

Image stabilization, while good at normal focus, is ineffective when you use the digial zoom (up to 5x), so videos will appear very shaky even with slight movement. The camera will have to be stabilized on a tripod if you're using the zoom feature.

If you're a novice (as I am), Sanyo xacti cameras will require a bit of a learning curve. This is why the Flip line of camcorders is so appealing: they come with their own editing software and are basically plug-and-play.

Note that video on Sanyo cameras is saved in mpeg4 format which means (since there is no included editing software) you'll need to convert the files to WMV or another format if you want to use Windows Movie Maker to edit the file. (Any version of Movie Maker for XP or Vista will not work with the mpeg4 format.) If this is your situation, AVS sells an inexpensive video format conversion program which is easy to use.

LCD screen doesn't display well in bright light.

Quality of still photos is poor, but that's not unusual for a camcorder. This won't replace your digital SLR camera if you've got one.

I've decided to swap this camera for the Panasonic HDC-TM55 which at a higher price tag (about $450) provides an optical (rather than digital) image stabilization feature that will keep the video stable even when you're using the optical zoom. I'll give the Sanyo to a relative. It really is a good camera for the price, and its digital image stabilization does work reasonably well at normal focus.

I bought this dual camera because i am going on a cruise, and I did not want to be burdened by a lot of equipment.

So far I have used it to take both Hi Definition movies and still pictures.

The results are good even when viewed on a 40 in 1080i TV.

I have 16 GB card so i can record up to 2 hours of video or over 4000 still images.

Please note that the resolution can be reduced by the user.

CONS

Still pictures taken at short distances( Under six feet) show fish eye distortions. This can be corrected by software such as Photoshop Elements.

Battery life could be better. It appears to be limited close to 1 hour with the supplied 700 MAH battery.

Does not work as a PC Camera with the Mac.

No supplied software.

Buy Sanyo VPC-CG20 High Definition Camcorder & 10 MP Camera (Black) Now

I originally bought the Sanyo VPC CG10 after reading a number of sterling reviews on Amazon, notably by Rolla Gravett and Juan. The camera is fantastic. I already owned a Flip MinoHD, but I was disappointed by its limitations--there are no settings to speak of you can play with, and of course, it is not a still camera. My goal was to find a compact camera which would take both high definition video and take high quality still photos with a built in flash. The CG10 did all of that. When Sanyo released the CG20, the main improvement was going from 30 fps 720p video to 60 fps 1080p video. Now that I have both cameras I am a little disappointed with the 1080 video. As recommended by others, I am using a class 6 SDHC card. The videos I have taken in the highest HD (1080) are obviously much larger files, but they don't seem to play quite right with Quicktime. I am working on a very new iMac. When I play the 1080 videos in Quicktime there seems to be some jitter and unsteadiness. The exact clip recorded in 720p seems better, very stable, and just as clear to my eye. I also found that when I played the 1080 clip with VLC media player, it played better than with Quicktime without any distortion. Also the viewing screen in the CG20 is a little bit smaller than the CG10. For email purposes, I use MPEG Streamclip to resize my videos. Typically if I take a 20-30 second clip in 720p it is about 15-20 megabytes. I can resize that clip with Streamclip down to about 2-3 megabytes without losing virtually any clarity, thus I can email it easily. The same clip in 1080p is 40-50 megabytes and perhaps too large to resize for email. Again, to my eye I can't see much difference between 720 and 1080. This parallels my experience with HD televisions, where with the exception of BluRay DVDs, the picture on my Panasonic 50 inch plasma TV (720) is as crisp as any picture I have seen with a 1080 TV. Overall, I think the Sanyo CG10 or CG20 are absolutely the best buy for the money, a fantastic camera that you can and will take anywhere you go. You can get the CG10 for around $120 now, unbelievable value.

Read Best Reviews of Sanyo VPC-CG20 High Definition Camcorder & 10 MP Camera (Black) Here

This is a nice little camcorder at a reasonable price. I was looking for basic camcorder capable of decent 1080p recording but with more flexibility than a Flip or Zi8. This fills the bill nicely. It is the modest successor to the CG 10 and does all the things it did plus 1080p in a slightly smaller package. Don't expect image quality equaling the HD cameras used by your local TV station or the PGA but it's not bad considering the entire camera costs less than a good DSLR lens.

The 5X zoom is great. You can't handle much more than that if you are going hand-held. Don't bother with the You-Tube demos of this cameras. They are jerkey and not of the highest quality; More a limitation with You-Tube than with the camera video, which is smooth. Any complaints about jerkiness are likely due to playback limitations of your computer or software. I have a relatively new laptop and have no problem. The files also play smoothly on my Western Digital HD Media Player (also a cool item).

While on the subject of lenses check out the Sanyo VCP-L07WAU Wide Angle Adapter Lens at B&H photo (in Japan it's the VCP-L07WA). This is a 0.7x adapter that will bring true wide-angle to this model or the CG-102. The view is nearly 40% wider making it perfect for panoramas or close indoor shots. The lens slips over the entire front of the CG-20 and holds securely using the indents on the sides of the camera body. You can't use zoom with it but this is a minor point. Check it out.

True, the CG20 cannot film in low light (meaning dim light) but has NO PROBLEM whatsoever in a normally lit room. Get an LED light bar for $25-30 or go to a more expensive model if filming in the dark is a priority for you it isn't for me.

Last, I attached a wrist strap to the bottom of the camera using a d-ring adapter that screws into the tripod thread. I adapted it from something that I already had from an old movie camera but it's perfect, and I wish someone would sell such a device. You could do something similar by purchasing a 1/4"x20 tripod screw with D-ring and adding a wrist strap. You can find these in camera supply stores.

Want Sanyo VPC-CG20 High Definition Camcorder & 10 MP Camera (Black) Discount?

I have waited for months to get this camera. To my satisfaction it is by far the best video cam under $200. With 1080I, 1080P, and 720P it is super. The best software to use with a modest computer is Roxio Creator 2010. You can make awesome up to 40 min. AVCHD DVDs that will play on newer BluRay players. I would recommend installing a $45 NVIDIA video card that will speed up rendering by a factor of at least 5X. The anti shake works well out to the end of the 5X optical range. It will take some practice to hold the camera still for full zoom pictures. The stereo sound is great and wind noise suppression is good but not perfect. I have about 50 movies on Youtube that are super clear(badchuckie)! I usually cut the quality to 720P either with the camera or Roxio Creator to minimize upload time and at this point in time 720P is all that will play on YouTube without jerking. Still photos compare favorabily with my 12mp camera. Batteries, extra charger and SD cards are cheap. The operating buttons are great for fat fingers and very intuitive. It also has a HDMI output for fast viewing of movies on your large screen TV. I play mine on a 50 inch and they are sharp with either 1080 or 720 modes. The SD card is a little difficult getting in and out so I use the supplied USB cable to transfer files to the computer. I would reccommend at least a 6 or faster SD card and purchase a couple of 1000mah batteries and charger. The unit comes with a 700mah battery that will run the camera for at least an hour. I bought a red unit from RS for $179. For some reason the black and silver ones are more expensive so this is a good price.

No comments:

Post a Comment